Anxiety can take over your life without you really knowing it. It’s important to stay in touch with your inner self to maintain balance and notice when there might be a problem.
If your anxiety is severe or causes you to panic, be sure to see a health professional. However, for day-to-day anxiety, there are natural ways you can reduce anxiety by yourself.
Here are some herbs, tips, and techniques you can use to alleviate your anxiety:
1. Passionflower. Passionflower is a popular herb that has been known to help reduce anxiety. For many, passionflower is as effective as some prescription drugs. It also helps with insomnia since anxiety and insomnia often go hand in hand.
2. Self-Hypnosis. Hypnosis can be a great way to relax and get in touch with your subconscious. Self-hypnosis enables you to perform techniques on yourself instead of requiring someone else’s assistance.
3. Proper Nutrition. Sometimes you may forget about the intense connection between how you feel and what you put into your body. Simply paying attention to getting a natural, well-balanced diet can help you reduce anxiety.
- If eating right is difficult for you, be sure to take a multivitamin and avoid chemicals, processed foods, and caffeine when possible.
4. Time Management. A hectic schedule can cause anxiety. Perhaps it’s time to drop some activities or manage your time in a more efficient fashion. Remember to schedule time for yourself to focus on activities that relax you.
5. St. John’s Wort. St. John’s Wort has been used as a supplement for centuries. It’s a natural herb that can help with both depression and anxiety. It’s best used for mild to moderate cases.
6. Acupuncture. Acupuncture is an ancient art that can reduce your anxiety by enabling you to feel calm and relaxed. It involves the use of thin needles that are used to relax your muscles.
7. Worry Time. If you feel that all you do is worry, it’s time to pick a worry time. Choose a period of the day – maybe 5 to 6 PM – where you allow yourself to worry as much as you want. Worrying is simply not allowed or tolerated during the rest of the day.
- Every time you feel worries arise during other times of the day, tell yourself that the worries have to wait for your worry time. You’ll soon find that you won’t really worry all that much during your worry time!
8. Exercise. Studies have shown that regular exercise can reduce anxiety. Exercise produces serotonin (the “feel good” hormone), relieves stress, increases oxygen levels throughout the body, and relaxes your muscles.
9. Meditation. Pick a time each day when you can meditate. Find a quiet, relaxing place and focus on your breathing while you relax. Next, immerse yourself in visualizing that you are living the life you desire. Meditation can relax, inspire, and motivate you.
10. Valerian Root. This is another natural anxiety herb. It’s an excellent choice if you also have trouble sleeping. Valerian root can be taken as a tea or a capsule and should be taken approximately two hours before you go to bed.
Whether you choose a natural herb, activity, or life change to reduce your anxiety, you’re making a good decision when you opt to go with a natural solution to your problem.