It’s true that most people live lives of quiet desperation. Most people are filled with regret at the end of their lives. Leaving too many things undone and failing to live enthusiastically and with purpose are common regrets. If you want to live a fulfilling life, a life worthy of admiration, it’s important to determine your legacy today and being living it immediately.
Most of us get roughly 70 good years. Why not make the most of them?
Following these strategies will help you discover your legacy and begin living it:
1. Determine your core values. Figure out what’s most important to you. Take your time. You only have one life so make it as meaningful as possible. What truly matters to you?
2. Start with the end in mind. Imagine you’re on your death bed. Where are you? Are you living in a mansion with a private nurse? In a nursing home? In a modest family home? Who is with you? Close family? Do you have a string of friends, family, and admirers stopping by to pay their respects?
3. What do you want to look back upon? What will your live have been about? Spreading peace throughout the world? Building a real estate empire? Traveling the world and learning about different cultures? Mastering the piano? Becoming the most powerful person in your city? Living a well-rounded life with a close-knit family?
- Make a list of everything you want to do, have, and accomplish over the course of your lifetime. What great cause do you want to represent? What would make you proud?
4. Are you currently living in a way that will lead to this ending? Imagine your average weekday and weekend day. If you continued living this way for the rest of your life, where would you end up? Are you on the path to living the legacy you desire?
5. Determine the first step. What do you need to do first? Create a set of goals with the ultimate end in mind. Create a starting goal that can begin working on immediately. For example, imagine one of your goals is to climb Mount Everest. Your set of goals might look like:
- Join a gym and get into great shape.
- Start saving money. Equipment and traveling are expensive.
- Get a passport.
- Take a mountaineering course on Mt Rainier that will prepare me for my next climb.
- Climb Ecuadorian volcanoes.
- Climb Mt Aconcagua.
- Climb Mt. McKinley.
- Climb Mt. Cho Oyu.
- Climb Mt Everest.
6. Get started. Take the first step. This is the hardest part. If you want to build a billion-pound business empire, it’s not easy to get started when you only have £158 in the bank. It’s just going to take a little more time and a little more work.
7. Avoid losing sight of what’s most important. Avoid getting too caught up in your big goals. You still have friends and family to care for, and they probably don’t care if you live an extraordinary life. They love you whether you live an impressive life or not.
You can create a life that is exciting and fulfilling. Dream big, muster your courage, and get started today to make it a reality.